I thought it would be fun to share what I worked on in 2021 and my plans for 2022. I love hearing this kind of stuff from other writers, so this is for those you that also enjoy a deep dive into the details.
Work Published in 2021
- ALLERGIC, with Michelle Mee Nutter
Thank you to everyone who watched and participated in our launch events, and to everyone who has read, reviewed, and recommended ALLERGIC. It was on the Indie’s Bestsellers List for months, and just popped up again on there again for the first two weeks of 2022!
A few ALLERGIC links:
-One of many places to buy a copy
-One of many places to buy the audiobook
-An essay I wrote about the inspiration behind ALLERGIC: “What My Allergies Taught Me About Resiliency”
-A bonus ALLERGIC minicomic: “How to Be a Friend to Animals (When You’re Allergic!)”
- “A Sweet Spring Strawberry Day,” illustrated by Tatjana Mai-Wyss
I also had one other small publishing experience this year: a little short story about going strawberry picking in June’s Ladybug magazine called “A Sweet Spring Strawberry Day.”
What I Worked On in 2021 (that has sold for publication)
SQUISHED is my and Michelle’s next (standalone) graphic novel together and will be out in 2023. In 2020 I finished the final-ish draft of the script for SQUISHED, and then this year I worked with our editor Cassandra and Michelle to revise the text as Michelle drew sketches and sketch revisions. Michelle has now moved onto the inking stage—very exciting! I will have more updates about SQUISHED as we get closer to the release date.
After finishing the greater part of my work with SQUISHED (I will still be part of double checking and revising the text in small ways up until the book is finished), I began working on my and Michelle’s third graphic novel together, LUNA (another standalone). This is still in early stages, but I’m very happy with how it’s developing so far, and have been really enjoying working on it.
- SUPER PANCAKE
In 2020 I wrote the script for my and Abhi Alwar’s new graphic novel project, SUPER PANCAKE. And then this year I worked with our editor Rotem to revise the text now that Abhi has drawn the sketches.
- SUPER PANCAKE AND THE MINI MUFFIN MAYHEM
I wrote and revised the script for book two, SUPER PANCAKE AND THE MINI MUFFIN MAYHEM. I can’t wait for everyone to read this super silly books.
5. HAVEN: A SMALL CAT’S BIG ADVENTURE
I finished the bulk of my work on HAVEN in 2020, but I did spend time in 2021 with copyediting and proofreading. And got to be part of the excitement of seeing the cover develop! We also went through a title change. Originally it was going to be called HAVEN: THE STORY OF A CAT, but I love how HAVEN: A SMALL CAT’S BIG ADVENTURE communicates so much more of the scope of the story to readers.
What I Worked on in 2021 (that hasn’t sold…yet!)
(More info to come if these projects sell…)
1. Finished putting together a YA graphic novel pitch (with a super talented illustrator–wish us luck!).
2. Wrote/wrote and revised four picture book manuscripts.
3. Started two middle grade novels. One is in pretty rough shape, but I’m seeing a little more potential in the other one.
Writing Plans for 2022
I need to finish up:
1. SQUISHED—any remaining revisions as Michelle finishes the art.
2. SUPER PANCAKE—any remaining revisions as Abhi finishes the art.
3. SUPER PANCAKE AND THE MINI MUFFIN MAYHEM—a few remaining script changes
and then any revisions as the art develops.
And then the projects that will be my focus this year:
1. LUNA—I need to finish writing and revising. I’m really happy and feel very lucky that I get to work on this story. It feels very “me” in a way I can’t quite explain.
2. A secret project that hasn’t been announced yet. I’m looking forward to sharing more about this!
3. A new middle grade novel about a doll with starry-eyed dreams—I’m hoping to finish the rough draft and possibly get to revising as well.
3. A fantasy novel for adults—this project is one of my long-term goals. I’m hoping to make some amount of progress—even just a little—on it this year.
My 2022 Book Releases
On to the most exciting part of being an author—book releases!
- HAVEN: A SMALL CAT’S BIG ADVENTURE
The big author event of 2022 for me will be the publication of HAVEN: A SMALL CAT’S BIG ADVENTURE with Candlewick. I’m absolutely thrilled to share this story, and I’ll be sharing the cover and doing some ARC giveaways soon! It comes out in August, and I can’t wait for you all to read Haven’s story. (HAVEN is already available for pre-order!)
The North American Spanish edition of ALLERGIC will also be releasing in August 2022! I’m really excited this version will be available for young readers. (Also available for pre-order!)
Where You Can Find Me in 2022
February 5, 2021, 11 AM EST: I’ll be part of the All About Graphic Novels webinar panel through MD/DE/WV SCBWI—register here
Instagram: I haven’t been on here as much lately, because it wasn’t bringing me as much joy, but I still pop in occasionally, and I always post any big news. You can find me @meganwagnerlloyd
Newsletter: You can sign up here. I send it about 2-4 times a year.
HAVEN events: TBA! As always, I will post these on my website and on Instagram
Wrapping up the Recap
If you’ve read this far, I’m truly impressed. Thank you for following along on my writing journey and supporting my books.
Wishing you all the best <3
P.S. Here’s my full future publication schedule, current as of this posting, for those of you that enjoy seeing the chronological plan:
HAVEN: A SMALL CAT’S BIG ADVENTURE (Candlewick)
ALÉRGICA, with Michelle Mee Nutter (Graphix)
SQUISHED, with Michelle Mee Nutter (Graphix)
SUPER PANCAKE, with Abhi Alwar (Knopf)
SUPER PANCAKE AND THE MINI MUFIN MAYHEM, with Abhi Alwar (Knopf)
LUNA, with Michelle Mee Nutter (Graphix)
(Nothing scheduled yet!)
OUCH, with Michelle Mee Nutter (Graphix)
THE ABCs OF CATCHING Zzzs, illustrator TBD (Chronicle)